Saturday, April 25, 2009

University - Then n Now

I know for a fact now that I am getting old. It's not just these damn grey hairs popping up from time to time or the fact that I cant bunny hop my bike no more, but my attitude to so many things are changing. Recently I have made a U-turn on my thoughts on a university education. Three things happened simultaneously recently in my life to change my thinking

1. I decided to pursue my Masters degree. Why? Well I have an associate degree which I value, but a bachelors which i am not necessarily proud of. It's not that I didnt work hard to get it but it's just that I realised it wasnt my passion when I was almost complete. However I pushed through and completed. So now I want to get back in, (I take back all the bad things I ever said about UWI) it's amazing to think I would voluntarily go back.

2. Had the previlige of helping quite a few persons with an assignment and I realised that they didnt care how they did it, but the main goal was to pass by any means necessary. I remember when I was on campus hearing stories of people offereing sexual favours in exchange for passes and I always ignored it because I thought my hard work would pay off. Ya know what? It doesnt. It's a dog eat dog world, and I now find myself furious at the thought of people who cheat, lie, steal to get their degrees and then come into the work world useless but at an advantage nevertheless.

3. One of the advantages (and disadvantages) of working in a large organisation is the oppurtunity to meet persons of different nationalities, races, religions, ethinic backgrounds etc. I recently was required to work closely with a guy out of 'the big city' and we talked about work and school and the struggles of growing up. It's often easy to stereotype, but the only way to grow out of that mindset is to emerse oneself in the unknown. Now, I hav an appreciation for others that dont look like me or dont share the same background. Ya know, we are all pretty similar.

so what's the purpose of all that above? who knows?!?!?! I pretty sure I had a conclusion but i fuhget, another sign of the age ... lol

No comments:

Post a Comment