Friday, April 24, 2009

Daggering on MYTv

So CBC has attempted to put on a discussion program on 'Daggering', the new dance craze, well at least the new name. However I have a few issues with this:

1. Why are we so hypocritical? We got blatant sexual lyrics, degrading to women in soca, RnB, alternative ... Pretty much every genre but we don't make a big song and dance about it?

2. Why these so called discussions always have straight laced academics that scared to say the word penis in public and obviously have a stereotype built on persons with children as misfits and failures? Where is the balance?

3. Who gives people the right to start talking about licensing artists expression by prohibiting them to even record and perform their material to a willing audience? That is a really slippery slope there.

As much as I think modern dancehall AND soca AND RnB Is for the most part garbage, I would not want to start thinking about outright bans in private settings. On the radio? Fine, but clubs, studios no. I mean, what next? I can't listen to speed metal? I can't worship Budha? I can't conduct a same sex relation? I can't drink rum? Who decides what is right, damaging to societal ideals?
-

4 comments:

  1. I believe there is some hypocrisy involved. However, everything is on a scale. Some things are slightly vulgar others are exceptionally vulgar. When the threshhold for "public decency is crossed" that is when people act up.

    So "Bump and wine in the congaline" may not be as bad as "100 juks 1,000 stabs" or whatever it is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. so wha u think about their suggestion to license artist and studios??

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hate to hear young adults that don't have any kids degrading the ones that do...many of these so-called academics just got book sense and no common sense... book sense isn't everything.... STUDY IT!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think the reason why people are bothered by it is because they can't hide behind double entendre or using puns to cover up slackness anymore. It's here and in your face now. Slackness is slackness...clever or not and caribbean society cannot deal with that reality.

    ReplyDelete